D.S.C.G. silver plated "Lhasa" mirrors
Two silver plated hand mirrors attributed to the Duchess of Sutherland Cripples Guild and likely dating to around 1906.
The mirrors are unmarked as these would have been made by the Potteries Guild of Cripples just before it was renamed as the D.S.C.G. A very similar mirror is shown in the D.S.C.G. showroom catalogue, circa 1910. The catalogue states that the mirror was adapted from a brass mirror brought back by Mr Percy Landon from Colonel Younghusband’s expedition.
Percy Landon was a newspaper correspondent who joined Colonel Younghusband on his invasion of Tibet during 1903 and 1904. It seems likely that Percy Landon obtained this mirror in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa.
Dimensions: 6″ in diameter
Condition: Some loss of silver plating. Foxing to both mirrors